Nikoliafleet is an important place for Hamburg’s history. More than 830 years ago - 1188 - the development of the harbour began here. The Laeiszhof is a Kontorhaus in Hamburg, located on Nikolaifleet southwest of the Trostbrücke. It was build 1897-98 for the company F. Laeisz according to plans by Bernhard Hanssen, Wilhelm Emil Meerwein and Martin Haller in the style of the Hanover School of Architecture. Until today the house is the seat of the shipping company F. Laeisz, whose sailing ships - like the “Peking”, “Passat” or “Preussen” - were regarded as the fastest in the world in the late 19th and early 20th century.